This soup is one of my all time favorites. It’s rich, tangy, spicy and loaded with the best toppings ever. I feel chicken tortilla soup is often overlooked, a lot of the classic soups like tomato or french onion are the one’s you think of first but this baby, is a killer. If you have chicken you need to use up, a rotisserie chillin in your fridge or leftover roasted chicken…this is your sign. This soup is the best for leftover chicken and this recipe uses a few staple canned ingredients that I am sure you may actually have on hand already! win win.
But don’t let me skip the toppings because those are what bring this soup above and beyond. Freshly shredded cheddar, sour cream and jalapenos of course. But the shining star are these crispy tortilla strips. * below on how to make at home. They bring the crunch you need to this soup. But also hear me out, fresh lime. Just before you take your first bit, hit your soup with a fresh squeeze. It brings a nice pop of brightness and it’s also just fun to do 😉
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
makes about 4-6 servings
takes about an hour to make
-what you need-
- 3 Tbs oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounce can green chile peppers, with juice
- 1 large chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 8.75 ounce can of corn
- 3 cups roughly chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- fresh sliced jalapenos
- crispy tortilla strips*
-what to do-
- In a large pot, bring to medium heat and add in your oil, chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes
- Add in your garlic, cook for another 5 minutes
- Add in your taco seasoning, garlic and onion powder. Mix and cook through for 5 minutes, mixture will be thick
- Add in your chicken stock, black beans, crushed tomatoes, chiles and chipotle pepper – stir and bring to a slow rolling boil. About 20-25 minutes
- Lastly, add in your corn and chicken, stir and heat through for another 5-10 minutes and your soup is ready to roll!
- Top with your favorite toppings, serve piping hot and ENJOY! I like to serve mine with fresh lime, squeeze on right before your first bite.
*for crispy tortilla strips, easiest way is in your air fryer. Take a few tortillas, slice them thinly, coat with just a little bit of oil and pop in air fryer for 5 or 10 minutes until nice and crispy. If you do not have an air fryer, follow same steps but pop these on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes in your oven.
how did Reese eat her soup?