Let’s talk soup. As soon as the cold months arrive, we shift into soup season. But how often are you hosting holidays or parties where soup is your starter course? If you see where I am going here 😉 Thanksgiving is next week and you need this soup on your table. It’s the perfect starter. Not too rich, not too filling, just right to begin the stomach stretch for main course and sides. It’s super easy and delicious and jam packed with Italian staples. Pasta and meeeeataballs of course!
The meatballs, bite sized friendly. To make this easy – grab your favorite meatball mix – ground beef, sausage, chicken or turkey! I went sausage route here, did a premade mix, and just used a small teaspoon to scoop the portions. Just roll and boom, done. Now let’s get into it!
Sausage & Tortellini Soup Recipe
takes about 1 hour
makes about 4-6 servings
-what you need-
- 1 pound meat of choice, I used sweet sausage
- 3 celery sticks, with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Tbs flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups refrigerated tortellini, your favorite kind, I used cheese
- Big handful of whole fresh basil leaves, about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup light cream or heavy cream
- Olive oil
- Fresh Parmesan
-what to do-
- Grab meatball mixture of your choice and using a teaspoon, portion out and roll into little meatballs and place on parchment. Repeat until full pound is used.
- In a large pot, bring to medium heat and add in a little oil to lightly coat.
- Add in your mini meatballs and pan fry until browned on all sides. Using slotted spoon, remove meatballs and let drain on paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pot with meatball drippings, over medium heat, add in your onion and celery and cook until fragrant. About 15 minutes.
- Next add in the garlic and cook another 10 minutes.
- Next add the flour, mixture will become thick but stir and cook another 5 minutes.
- Now add in the chicken stock, tomatoes, seasonings and salt to taste. Stir and bring to a low boil.
- Add your mini meatballs back in and your tortellini and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in your whole basil leaves and cream, stir, and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnish with fresh parmesan and enjoy!!!
What did the pasta say to the meatball?
I’m tortellini in love with you.