This hot cider will warm you up instantly. It’s sweet & spiced and literally everything nice. Not to mention sooo cozy. No sugar was needed here, simply apples, spices and water. That is it! If you have gone apple picking and have a bunch left to use up, this is the perfect recipe for them.
Honey crisp, of course. These are my #1 favorite apple for like, everything. They are so sweet making them perfect for this cider. If you’ve got other kinds on hand, no worries at all. Any apple will work for this. I do recommend using a red variety.
I’m going to be full on honest with you, the straining is the most annoying part, but…it’s so worth it. I highly, highly recommend using cheese cloth. I thought I had some and we’ll, I didn’t. So I had to get creative. If you have ever done a pour over coffee method, that is what I did LOL. I strained the cider three times but this can be done in two if you have cheese cloth. So trust me. Get the cloth.
Homemade Apple Cider Recipe
takes about 2 and a half hours
makes 6 cups of hot cider
-what you need-
- 12 apples, quartered. I used honeycrisp
- 10 cups of water
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbs allspice
-what to do-
- In a very large stock pot add in your quartered apples. Cover with water and add in your cinnamon and allspice and mix.
- Turn stove to medium high heat and cover pot with a lid. Bring to a slow boil and let cook for 45 minutes.
- When apples get soft smash with a wooden spoon, cover again and reduce heat to medium. Let cook for another hour.
- When liquid is dark in color and apples are cooked, time to strain.
- Grab two large bowls. Taking one bowl, strain your apple cider through a colander. I used one that we use for pasta. Then take your cider bowl and strain again into the second bowl using a cheese cloth. Squeezing out all the liquid, but be careful it is very hot!
- What you have left in the cheese cloth is basically applesauce! Save for a later time.
- Serve your hot filtered cider right away and enjoy with a cinnamon stick garnish! You can also refrigerate for up to 1 week in an air tight container, although I am sure it will not last that long 😉
What did the apple say to the goth apple?
You’re so hardcore.