The sort of bagel you absolutely need this season. Pumpkin bagels. I mean, do I really need to persuade you? Unless you aren’t a huge pumpkin fan but we don’t need to go there. I refuse to cry today. But anyways, let me spice up your life.
These bagels are warm from the spices and just a touch sweet from the brown sugar. They have a two part rise, once in the beginning then again after you form the bagels. This will ensure a nice thick, chewy bagel. Forming them is super simple. You just cut the dough, after the first rise, into 6 pieces then poke a hole in the middle and form, evening out the sides. Making the perfect pumpkin bagel! And have you ever had a bagel straight from the oven? Nothing beats it.
Pumpkin Bagel Recipe
makes 6 bagels
takes 2 hours to make
-what you need-
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water + 1 Tbs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée (not pie)
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 Tbs cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbs pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs oil
-what to do-
- In a bowl of stand mixer, or just bowl if doing by hand, mix yeast with warm water and sugar and let bloom for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- After yeast blooms, add in the pumpkin purée, bread flour, spices, salt and vanilla and mix with dough hook or by hand under dough ball forms. If dough is too dry add in 1 additional Tbs of water at a time, dough should be soft but should not stick to your hands or bowl.
- Turn off oven.
- Coat your pumpkin bagel dough with oil and cover, letting rise for 1 hour in your warmed oven.
- After an hour take out your dough and cut into 6 equal blobs. Don’t mess with the dough, just cut as it is.
- Take each blob, poke a hole in the center and even out the bagel forming into a perfect circle.
- Place formed bagels onto a parchment lined baking sheet, cover with towel and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Boil your bagels one minute on each side then place back onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden browned. Slice, shmear and serve right away. Nothing beats a warm fresh baked bagel.
What kind of bagel can fly?
A plane bagel.